JCIO 06/23

Date:24 May 2023





Danny Goodchild JP


A spokesperson for the Judicial Conduct Investigations Office said:

Mr Justice Keehan, on behalf of the Lord Chief Justice and with the Lord Chancellor’s agreement, has issued Mr Danny Goodchild JP, a magistrate on the supplemental list, with formal advice for misuse of the ‘JP’ suffix.

When magistrates retire, they are automatically placed on the supplemental list. While supplemental list magistrates have no judicial powers, they are entitled to continue to refer to themselves as a JP. They are also subject to the same expectations in how they conduct themselves as serving magistrates. This includes being circumspect and avoiding use of the suffix ‘JP’ in ways that could be perceived as trying to gain influence.

Mr Goodchild used his ‘JP’ suffix when providing a written response to a complaint, made against him by a fellow member of the Spiritualist National Union (SNU) about his behaviour during a virtual meeting.

While the complaint to the SNU was not upheld, following a judicial disciplinary investigation, a conduct panel of the North West Region Conduct Advisory Committee found that Mr Goodchild should not have used the ‘JP’ suffix in the way he did.

The panel decided that Mr Goodchild’s actions lacked circumspection, had the potential to damage the reputation of the magistracy and therefore amounted to misconduct The panel took into consideration that Mr Goodchild had taken responsibility for using the suffix and recommended a sanction of formal advice. Mr Justice Keehan and the Lord Chancellor agreed..



Notes for Editors


Media queries in relation to the JCIO should be made in the first instance to the Judicial Press Office - telephone 020 7073 4852 or via email - press.enquiries@judiciary.gsi.gov.uk


Sanctions for misconduct by judicial office-holders are set out in the Constitutional Reform Act 2005. They are, in order of severity: formal advice, formal warning, reprimand and removal from office.

For more information about the Office, including details on how to make a complaint against a judicial office holder, you can visit the JCIO website at: Judicial Conduct Investigations website