If we accept your complaint for further assessment, we will acknowledge your complaint within two working days (complaints made via the portal will receive an auto-acknowledgement).

  • A caseworker will aim to write to you within 15 working days.
  • If we are unable to accept your complaint we will respond to you within 15 working days and explain why.
  • We will provide you with an update on your complaint every four weeks (unless stated otherwise).
  • We aim to conclude complaints accepted for further assessment, including complaints that proceed to full investigation, within 20 weeks of receipt.
  • We will tell you how to contact the Judicial Appointments & Conduct Ombudsman if you believe we have mishandled your complaint.
  • If we are unable to help you we will try to direct you to other organisations that may be able to assist you.
  • We will process your personal data in accordance with our Privacy Notice.

The judicial disciplinary system is there to determine whether or not there has been misconduct by a judicial office holder.

If the Lord Chancellor and Lady Chief Justice find that there has been misconduct, then they will issue the office holder with a sanction.

The sanctions are:

1. Formal advice
2. Formal warning
3. Reprimand
4. Removal

When a sanction is issued, information about the decision will be published on the JCIO’s website as a disciplinary statement.

The JCIO cannot:

  • Get you compensation
  • Get involved in your ongoing case
  • Get a judge recused from your case
  • Tell a judge that they should send you an outstanding order or judgment
  • Tell a judge that they should consider your application
  • Tell a judge what decision they should make on your case
  • Tell a judge that they should make a new decision
  • Get you answers to all of your questions about the court process

In many cases, you may find it helpful to contact the court in the first instance to see if they can help you before you make a complaint to the JCIO.

The judicial disciplinary process cannot be used to challenge a judge’s decision. The only way to do so is through the courts. If you believe that a judge’s decision or the way a judge has managed a case was incorrect or unfair, you might be able to appeal to a higher court. You may wish to consider seeking advice about your options.